Sunday, May 18, 2008

Candidate Spotlight: Jeff Kagan

In preparation for the upcoming election for UT's Board of Directors, The Blog has invited all candidates to submit a statement about themselves and their vision for UT's future.

Dear Members of the University Towers Community,

I would like to formally announce my intent to run for the University Towers Board of Directors.

Some of you know me, but many of you do not. I hope to meet you all in the upcoming weeks and months. For now, I'll tell you a little bit about myself and why I am asking for your support at the upcoming Annual Meeting on Monday, June 9, 2008.

I have decided to run for the Board to be more involved in the community in which I live, working with the current Board and management to make University Towers one of the best "destinations" in Brooklyn. In an increasingly competitive marketplace, with new buildings going up on all sides of us, I feel that we have the ability to shine a little brighter than we already do, and show the real estate market that UT is the place to be!

I have been a shareholder at University Towers since November, 2006. I am a Brooklyn native, born in Crown Heights (40 years ago this July...). I have a Bachelor of Arts in Communications from Trenton State College, and a Master of Arts in Television Broadcasting from Montclair State University. I've been working at Home Box Office (HBO) for the past 16 years, and I am currently a Manager in the HBO Program Scheduling Department where I create on-air schedules for the HBO Family and HBO Comedy channels. I hope many of you enjoy my work.

I am a self-starter. I believe in honesty, accountability, and fairness. I am extremely resourceful and bring creativity and innovation to the table. I have years of experience working with people, both on an individual level and in the group dynamic. I'm very approachable and I always look at every situation in an objective manner. I have served on four Boards for various nonprofit organizations over the past 15 years.

My first focus, if elected, will be to work with the current Board on ways to improve communications to the shareholders, by advocating for a more active website and more frequent updates on the discussions and decisions made by the Board. I realize that serving on the Board is a great responsibility which must be juggled along with one's own full-time job and other personal activities. I feel that I can assist the Board in streamlining the communication process with a more effective means of reaching the shareholders, while at the same time, not adding too much to the current workload.

You will have the opportunity to meet me in person at the "Meet the Candidates" event on Wednesday, May 21st in the UT Community Room. I look forward to telling you more about myself, as well as answer any and all questions about my intent as a Board member.

The above information may help you when deciding who to vote for on June 9th. If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to focus my abilities on my UT community, to help make University Towers better for everyone.

I encourage everyone to get involved and vote on June 9th, regardless of the candidate(s) you support.

Thank you,

-- Jeff

No comments: