Thursday, September 27, 2007

OPINION: Tank Cleaning in 122?!? A Discussion of Timely Notification and Other Quality-of-Life Issues.

OK, things need to be cleaned -- like me, at 10am this morning, standing in the shower watching the last tepid drops trickle down the drain.

I have no problem with maintenance, and I have no problem with inconvenience as long as you let me know in advance!

I called Management (718-522-0320) and spoke to one of Mr. Urena's assitants who assured me that "signs had been posted in the elevators and on the floors since Tuesday."

Am I blind? Did I not see these ubiquitous notices? No, after a few calls to other neighbors, I learned that, in fact, they only started posting them yesterday afternoon -- when I and most others were at work.

And I, like many others, returned late and didn't see the sign purported to be posted at the elevator -- not because I was bleary-eyed from work, but because after hours there is usually an elevator sitting in the lobby. And, being tired, I walked right in, only glancing around enough to see the familiar "new package room key" and "fall schedule" signs. I didn't notice any other signs.

Now, granted, Management has gotten a lot better about notifying residents about construction, maintenance and other Quality of Life issues. But they have a long, long way to go.

Please feel free to post any and all comments about either today's tank cleaning, or any other notification issues -- good or bad -- about work being done in your environment.

Thanks!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did my laundry on Tuesday evening from about 8 PM until about 10 PM. I got in about 8:30 PM yesterday. There were no signs or flyers for the service outage relating to water. There was a flyer for the new red key/package system. There was a flyer for meetings in October. There was even a sheet on my flooe about someone having wooden floors installed in their place and who to contact about noise/etc. I didn't see one flyer/sign about Tank cleaning for today anywhere. Someone forgot to put the flyers up. Not a big deal if they just own up to the mistake and apologize for the inconvenience and strive not to do it again. The first step is acknowledging the mistake though.

Anonymous said...

They posted that 191 wouldn't have water on Monday - I saw it when I went to the gym on Saturday I think.

They posted that 175 wouldn't have water yesterday - on Monday or Tuesday - but only downstairs, not on each floor.

I never go to the Ashland building so I can't comment on postings for your building.

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

So from what you're saying, Management probably gave the order to have the notices posted in time, but the 122 people failed to do so until yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Yes is my guess that Management told them to post notices but it didn't happen. I fussed about this before to Michael - we had a busted elevator recently all weekend, there was no note posted - I complained about the lack of communication, he said he knew notes were posted that Juan had posted them personally, but when they went to my building the posts were gone.

So, I'd complain that you didn't get proper notification so that Management knows there was a breakdown that's for sure, but it's my guess that they at least thought you were properly notified.

Along that line - there was a post up for about 2 days in my building with the fall meeting schedule. That note is still up in 191 - was it ever posted in your building?

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

Yes, that notice has been posted for a while in my building... at least a week, maybe two.

So Management gets points for effort, but their follow-up is poor. They should check to make sure signs are in place, and remain in place every day, in the lobby at the very least.

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank Carol for starting this site. University Towers Web Site is a joke. We need to create a force outside of the Board, to tackle the tough issues.

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. :->

I have also not had much luck with the University Towers website, and I'm so surprised that they charge a fee to post listings.

With that in mind, I created a "Listings" feature on this page, where I'll post whatever I find on the bulletin boards downstairs.

I'll also receive postings by email at carol@carolhenning.com.